Guide To Being The New Girl!

Most of us have been a new girl at some time in our lives. We've been scared we wouldn't make friends, fit in or enjoy the new school. I know you're thinking I'm not at all qualified to give advice on moving schools but I would know a thing or two about it!

I started at a school that I loved more than anything! I started there in Kindy and loved it all! I really did. But then the most horrible stuff happened. I know that a main fear of most people's when moving schools is "I won't make friends." I know I didn't technically change schools, but my best friends in the entire world (kitten and puppy) moved to other schools. I was left with just me and my close-ish friend Moo. We were getting along pretty well and I was finally getting to know her when she made a  big announcement. She was leaving to go live on the other side of the world. I was devastated because
A: I wouldn't see her again for a long time
B: I would be all alone

I still had one of my good friends Giraffe left at the same school as me but we weren't very close and I missed my best friends. I was also struggling with bullies, a crush that didn't like me back and a horrid teacher but that's another story. I was miserable all year 5 and just wanted to leave. And one day my parents told me I'd be going to a different school for year 6. Kitten's school. I was so excited but really nervous too because I would be the new girl for real this time! But I'm 10 months in and love it more than anything. I'll admit it was hard at the start and that's why I'm writing this post. To help any new girl who wants some advice. Just follow my tips and you'll be fine!

1: Make a good first impression.

I'm not saying that you need to act like someone else. In fact, you'll see in my next point that I am completely against changing yourself for others. What I mean is don't act nervous, even if you are. I know you're probably filled with nerves and just want to go and hide. I'm not saying you can't be nervous. It's a very scary thing sometimes and I was nervous when I was the new girl! What I mean is just don't let the nerves show! No one wants to be friends with someone who is hiding in the corner and doesn't want to speak. No matter how worried you are, act confident and calm. Try and keep a smile on your face and laugh a lot. Being confident and happy is an amazing first impression and you will find way more friends if you show them you know how to have a good time!


2: Don't change yourself.

I know you're worrying about not being 'cool enough.' You don't need to be because if you're acting like someone you're not:

a: It'd be hard to keep up the act which would ultimately lead to you being exposed as a phoney
b: All your friends wouldn't be friends with you because they like you. They'd be friends with you because they like who you're pretending to be. This isn't fair on them!

Plus, cool is overrated. Find friends who are like you and accept you for who you are. It's more fun to be yourself than have to constantly change yourself to fit in. I know you're thinking I'm being ridiculous by saying you don't have to be cool to fit in but I promise, there are so many people exactly like you. You'll actually find more friends being yourself!!

3: Don't stick with the first people you find.

On your first day you will have A LOT of girls telling you to sit with them and play with them. They're trying to be kind because they understand you're new. Choosing who to sit with is often overwhelming so you just go with the first person who asked you. These friendships may be strong on the first day but you can never be sure if they'll last. Chances are you'll find someone you like more. In this tip I'll teach you how to let the friendship you don't want fade without any drama.

You'd firstly want to casually bring the person you'd like to sit with up in conversation. Don't make it a huge topic, just get their opinion on that person. If the people you sit with like them, lucky you!! Why don't you suggest that you all go over and sit with them because you all like them! This way no friendships will have to fade and you can achieve your goal with no drama.

If the people you sit with don't like that person, it may be harder for you. Harder, but definitely not
impossible!! I recommend firstly spending some time outside of school with the person you'd like to be friends with. Something like a short play date or a hot chocolate before school can be a great way to get to know them. It's also a good way to see if you really do want to be friends with them or if you'd be happier with your current group. If you do like them, tell them about how much you like them. They may be able to help! Next, inform your friends that you'd like to go sit with the other person just for lunch. Don't just get up and leave with telling them first as this may result in drama. Just explain to them that you'd like to try and meet everyone and that particular person looks very nice. Make sure they know it's nothing personal, even if it is! Slowly let the relationship fade. Make sure you don't do anything suddenly and drastically like ice them out. Just let it happen by itself and try to make it as drama free as possible. If they do for some reason confront you, make sure you have an answer prepared. Just whatever you do, make sure you don't tell them that you don't want to be friends anymore unless you're sure you mean it. Once those words are said it's hard to get back to where you were.

4: Take EVERY opportunity!!

Many things will be offered to you at your new schools whether it is sport, art, music, coding etc. My best advice is to take every opportunity you are given that interests you! I'm saying you should sign up for EVERYTHING on offer, but make the most of the chances you're given. Joining a school club is an amazing way to make new friends who have the same interests as you! You get to meet new people and talk other girls and boys you maybe wouldn't talk to otherwise! You also get to learn lots
of new things surrounded by people just like you. You will find yourself loving the new school way more if you get involved in what it offers you. And hey, if you're not enjoying the school, that club can be your escape from it all!


5: Get a planner, diary or notebook.


This tip works for every single girl in school, new or not! You may have different classes and you need to remember where to go to for it. Or maybe you've got 3 different assignments due at different times but you can't remember what those times are! Get a planner, diary or even a simple notebook from any store that sells stationary. Kikki K is my personal fave but it is expensive so my next recommendation would be a planner from your nearest corner store! This is where it becomes even more awesome/necessary for a new girl. You can use it to remember stuff! I know you think i'm mad but just hear me out. If you meet a nice girl called Bella, write down her name and what she looks like so you can remember her. Believe me, there's nothing more embarrassing than forgetting someone's name! Use the planner to help you. And why not get a diary as well? When you're stressed, writing in a diary is a way to calm you down and let you express yourself. Just pour your heart out! (Just remember to keep it hidden!)

6: Don't do assignments the night before they're due!

If you're anything like I am, my first worry was "what's homework going to be like?" "How many assignments will I have to do?" I was so nervous that i'd never get any work done but I got some great advice from a girl the year above me: NEVER leave it until the night before it's due to do your homework. It may sound like a simple, unimportant tip but it's really important you stay on top of work. It's horrible to leave it until the last minute because you're leaving yourself very little time and not allowing for distraction. Speaking of distraction, I find the easiest way to get my work done is go to the library after school and just do my work in a calm, quiet environment where there are no interruptions! I also recommend listening to music while you work. It calms me down and helps get me focused. For some people, music is a distraction. If you are one of those people, DO NOT use music. To get work done you need no distraction.  I know it sounds scary but just stay on top, keep yourself organized and make sure you have a safe space to do your homework!


7: Don't lose touch with your old friends.

You're going to find SO many new friends at your new school and i'm sure you'll want to spend a lot of time with them. But what about your old friends? They knew you first and have shown dedication to you for much longer than your new friends have. It's not fair on them if you ditch them just because you've found new people. As well as it not being fair on the old friends, it's really good to keep your old friends around! You made those friends when you weren't new and weren't nervous so there's a low chance that you were acting like someone else in front of them. Your old friends are people you can be yourself around. Sometimes it's good to have someone to talk to about all the new stuff that's happening. They can help you through! I still catch up with Puppy and Giraffe all the time even though I don't go to school with them. I don't think of them as my old friend! Speaking of, never call them your 'old friends.' It can be kinda offensive!

These are just 7 tips but I'm sure you could find a million more on other websites. Most of those are written by people up who've never been a new kid. I hope my first hand experience has helped you be less nervous and given you some good ideas! Good luck! Just one last tip, HAVE FUN!

Stay Smiley!
Blogger Girl๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’–



Comments

  1. Hey Everyone!
    Blogger Girl here๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

    Did this post help you? Comment any tips you have on being the new girl!

    Stay Smiley!
    Blogger Girl๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking!!!

Happy Halloween!